Questions That You Should Ask When Employing A Solicitor
You should not be afraid to question anything you do not understand or agree to anything you are not sure of.
- How much do you charge by the hour ?
- What is your minimum fee ?
- What is covered in this fee ?
- How many negotiations sessions are included ?
- How many court appearances are included ?
- What is your rate for appearance in court ?
- Make sure your solicitor has experience in family law, check with your local help line.
After telling your solicitors about all the facts of your case you should ask the following:
- How much maintenance can I expect ?
- Can I expect to remain in the family home ?
- Can I expect to get custody of my children ?
- What access rights can I expect my spouse / partner to be granted by the courts?
Write down a list of questions you have and wish to know from your solicitors. Don't be afraid to bring these with you or to question your solicitor if he/she uses terminology that you don't understand.
In case of Civil legal aid, you will be assigned a solicitor. Even though you don't have a choice of solicitors you will receive the same standard of representation as a paying client.