Domestic Violence > Profile of an Abuser
Profile of an Abuser
- Low self-esteem but may appear very confident.
- Trouble trusting others, particularly you.
- Jealous and possessive.
- May come from a family where there was violence, but sometimes denies this.
- Mood swings or explosive temper.
- Aggressive, dangerous driving.
- Isolates their victim.
- Emotionally and verbally abusive.
- Uses denial.
- Tends to blame others.
- In a fight, they will blame outside stressors, The Boss, Unemployment, Childhood, Alcohol etc
- Possible alcohol or drug user.
- Playful wrestling or teasing that hurts or is not funny.
- General negative and aggressive attitude.
- Risk Assessment
- It is important to identify the level of risk you may be exposed to in a relationship with the emphasis on identification before violence occurs.
- Has your partner become so jealous that you could describe him or her as paranoid?
- Do you often find yourself trying to convince them that you did nothing wrong?
- Have they ever kept you somewhere against your will (car or house)?
- Have they ever repeatedly commanded you to “tell the truth” even when you were not lying?
- Do they say they will die if you leave them or cannot live without you?
- Have they ever talked about killing themselves?
- Have they ever threatened to kill you?
- Have they forced you to have sex when you (did not want to)
- Do you have to justify your actions, activities, and time with your friends?
- Do you want to break up sometimes but feel afraid of what this person might do?
If any of these remind you of yourself and your partner ring the refuge 041-9844550