Drogheda Womens and Childrens Refuge
7:47am, Monday 2nd October 2023
Contact us:
041 984 4550

  • Our Refuge:
    041 984 4550
  • Drogheda Gardaí:
    041 987 4200
  • OLOL Hospital:
    041 983 7601
  • Doctor on Call:
    1850 777 911
  • Drogheda Bus Stn:
    041 983 5023
  • Drogheda Train Stn:
    041 983 8749
  • Dundalk Refuge:
    042 933 7202
  • Navan Refuge:
    046 902 2392
  • Rape Crisis Centre:
    042 933 9491
  • Monaghan Support:
    047 72 311

Drogheda Business Excellence Award 2009 - Winner of Best Website
Legal Issues >   Maintenance Order

Maintenance Order

A maintenance order can be applied for to obtain financial support for you and your children. In order to get a maintenance order you must prove that your spouse/partner has not been giving you enough money to support you and your children. Both you and your spouse/partner will be asked to give evidence about your incomes. You do not have to be living apart and you do not have to be intending to separate. The judge will then make an order of maintenance.

If your partner fails to pay your maintenance, the court can make an Attachment of Earnings which means that the money due to you will be paid by your spouse/partners employer straight out of their earnings. If your spouse/partner is unemployed, it is important that you apply for maintenance. This maintenance order, even if it is a nil maintenance order, is vital when you apply for social welfare.


If your maintenance is not paid, go to your community welfare officer at you local health Centre. Also, bring along your maintenance order with you.

You should always inform the courts if your order has been broken.