Drogheda Womens and Childrens Refuge
6:40am, Monday 2nd October 2023
Contact us:
041 984 4550

  • Our Refuge:
    041 984 4550
  • Drogheda Gardaí:
    041 987 4200
  • OLOL Hospital:
    041 983 7601
  • Doctor on Call:
    1850 777 911
  • Drogheda Bus Stn:
    041 983 5023
  • Drogheda Train Stn:
    041 983 8749
  • Dundalk Refuge:
    042 933 7202
  • Navan Refuge:
    046 902 2392
  • Rape Crisis Centre:
    042 933 9491
  • Monaghan Support:
    047 72 311

Drogheda Business Excellence Award 2009 - Winner of Best Website
Legal Issues >   Custody Order

Custody Order

A custody order can be applied for in the local district court. If granted you will get custody of your children. Sometimes joint custody of the children is awarded. Access for the other parent is decided by the judge. If one parent has abused the child, only supervised access will be given. The rights of the parents are only secondary to the rights of the child, the conduct of the mother and father are only taken into account when it effects the interest of the child.


Custody is the physical day to day care and control of a child or children.
When older children voice a preference, the court will sometimes have regard for their wishes if it is in the best interest of the child.

When you have custody of your child, your spouse/partner will usually be given access, unless there has been sexual abuse then access may be denied.


Access is the right to see and communicate with the child.

Access can be arranged in different ways, e.g. weekly, fortnightly, during summer holidays etc.

A couple do not have to be married to apply for access.



What is Guardianship?
Guardianship is a legal relationship between parents and their children. Married parents are joint guardians of their children and have rights and duties relating to their children's upbringing. An unmarried mother is the sole guardian of her child unless she consents to the father's appointment as guardian. Where an unmarried mother does not consent to the father being appointed guardian then the father must apply to court to be so appointed.



Drogheda Court offices

Fair street