Drogheda Womens and Childrens Refuge
6:05am, Monday 2nd October 2023
Contact us:
041 984 4550

  • Our Refuge:
    041 984 4550
  • Drogheda Gardaí:
    041 987 4200
  • OLOL Hospital:
    041 983 7601
  • Doctor on Call:
    1850 777 911
  • Drogheda Bus Stn:
    041 983 5023
  • Drogheda Train Stn:
    041 983 8749
  • Dundalk Refuge:
    042 933 7202
  • Navan Refuge:
    046 902 2392
  • Rape Crisis Centre:
    042 933 9491
  • Monaghan Support:
    047 72 311

Drogheda Business Excellence Award 2009 - Winner of Best Website
Legal Issues >   Barring Order

Barring Order

A barring order is granted where the court are of the opinion that there are grounds for believing that the safety and welfare of the applicant or any dependent person is in question. A barring order prohibits the abuser from further violence or threats of further violence. The abuser is ordered to leave the family home.

Who Can Apply for a Barring Order.

* A spouse.

* If you have been living with the abuser.

* If you are a parent of the abuser and the abuser is over 18 years and is not a dependent. Also, you must own the home or pay the rent.

* A parent may apply for a barring order because of violence towards their child or a child they are looking after.

* The health board may in special circumstances apply for protection on behalf of the   person.

Barring order cases are held "in camera", this means that only the applicant, their partner and the court officials are present in the court. Witnesses are called in one at a time and are there only to give evidence. You should employ a solicitor and bring all evidence of abuse and witnesses of the abuse to the court hearing. Your partner can be ordered out of the family home for up to 3 years in the district court. You can obtain a longer barring order or a lifetime barring order in the circuit court. If the abuser breaks the barring order they will be arrested and charged.

N.B. It is not necessary for the applicant to be living in the family home when they apply for a barring order, i.e. an applicant can apply from a refuge.